SAP XI / PI
Process Integration (PI) based on Exchange Infrastructure assumes the responsibility of integrating different SAP and non-SAP systems in the Heterogeneous Landscape (network of different computers). PI acts as SOA Middleware and forms the backbone of Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) in SAP environment. PI can also be used as a Middleware Engine to communicate in a distributed environment. The heart of PI, however, is the Integration Engine that is used for integrating different technologies using Standard Messaging techniques, like XML. Different mapping tools are available for mapping the distributed system, which can be done without having any expertise of technical details. As a real world example, PI can be helpful in integrating different banks with SAP R/3. PI also supports previous releases of SAP R/3 like 4.6C and have many more adapters to communicate with legacy systems.
SAP PI is more than just an Integration Broker - it delivers cross-component BPM functionality
SAP PI is an integration technology and platform for:
- SAP and Non-SAP systems
- A2A and B2B scenarios
- Synchronous and Asynchronous communication
- Cross component Business Process management and it include built-in engine for designing and executing integration process (Business process).
- The goal of SAP PI is to provide single point of integration of all systems inside and outside the corporate boundary across technologies and organizational boundaries.
- The important feature of PI is openness, flexible and transparency to the integration process. It supports SOA.
- The overall key concept of SAP PI is to drive integrated business process across heterogeneous and highly dynamic landscapes in a more manageable cost effective way.
- The basic idea is to provide runtime infrastructure which allows heterogeneous systems to be tied together with fewer connections and at the same time, in order to connect those applications and let messages flow from one application to other, have a centralized storage of integration knowledge.
R3 Services understands SAP integration better than any other consulting organization. For over 10 years, we have helped customers and software vendors meet long-term business goals by successfully implementing flexible, scalable, and reliable integration solutions. With R3 Services, companies gain the assurance of a crafted, holistic environment, accessing common information and increasing speed, both within and across business processes.